With Dr. Will Smith, MD, NRP; Dr. Stephen Rush, MD; Dr. Ben Walrath, MD
Drs. Will Smith, Steve Rush, and Ben Walrath join us for a great conversation about the role of the military EMS director. These three men have accumulated significant experience leading MEDEVAC/CASEVAC organizations, and their perspective is valuable for flight medics and Flight Surgeons alike.
During the episode, the conversation frequently emphasizes the importance of educational resources for flight docs, especially:
- DeployedMedicine.com, the official website for the Defence Health Agency’s combat casualty care guidelines
- The Joint Trauma System’s Pre-deployment Prioritized Read Lists by Clinical Role
- COL Robert Mabry’s seminal papers:
- Mabry RL, De Lorenzo RA. Improving role I battlefield casualty care from point of injury to surgery. US Army Med Dep J. 2011;87-91. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21607911/
- Mabry RL, Apodaca A, Penrod J, Orman JA, Gerhardt RT, Dorlac WC. Impact of critical care-trained flight paramedics on casualty survival during helicopter evacuation in the current war in Afghanistan. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012;73(2 Suppl 1):S32-S37. doi:10.1097/TA.0b013e3182606001 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22847091/
- Medical direction courses at SOMSA
Furthermore, Dr. Smith highlights the National Association of EMS Physicians Military and Federal Agency Chapter, a relatively new effort in which Dr. Walrath has a leadership role.
Check out the episode below, or wherever you listen!